The Berlin Desk
We are introducing a new feature to the THatB site to coincide with the
tenth anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. The Berlin Desk will be
web log of interesting articles about Berlin that we come across on the
World Wide Web. We will try to have a new selection of links at least
The first selection of links follows:
- Berlin-Friedrichstrasse 8:53 PM
- How members of an East German high school class fled East Berlin one after the other on the nightly Moscow-Paris Express train in 1964.
- Ampelmännchen -
When I travelled through eastern Germany in 1997 I was amazed
by how quickly vestiges of the DDR had been removed.
One thing that has been partly reconsidered is the Ampelmännchen
(little Signal man). The Ampelmännchen looks like a very happy fellow.
Here is a good overview article from
Recently a friend living in Berlin sent me a copy of
Das Buch vom Ampelmännchen (Thanks,Cornelia!)
- VirtualBerlin is a CD from Century
Software containing hundreds of Quicktime VR panoramas of Berlin. Their web site has a number of
the panoramas on-line. You need to have Quicktime 3 or above installed
on your computer (MacOS or Windows.) My favorites include:
Café Kranzler on the Ku'Damm
The Brandenburg Gate
Schloss Sans Souci
- From The Independent:
- Egon Krenz -- both sides now
"Today, Egon Krenz celebrates his order to tear down the Wall. Tomorrow, he heads for prison"
- The Mickey Mouse Wall
- From Radio Netherlands:
East Berlin - Memories from the Twilight Zone
- berlin in focus
- Portraits of modern Berlin (1997) in English from the
Not the usual tourist sites.
My favorite is the
Botanical Gardens. A beautiful spot.
I used to live a few blocks away.
Early Snow in Berlin
Early snowfall gives Berlin that winter wonderland look.
- Man plans reconstruction of the Berlin Wall
Well, not really. But the city of Berlin is considering buying back
100 meters of Wall from a man they initially paid to take it away.
An interesting piece by Hannah Cleaver from the
Irish Time's Berlin Letter
- Die Mauer muß weg!
- A personal remembrance of living in West Berlin surrounded by the Berlin Wall.
- HOW BERLIN'S WALL CAME TUMBLING DOWN
- The Irish Times has produced a series of reports on the collapse of the Berlin Wall
- Radio Nederlands is running a series of articles on the fall
of the Berlin Wall.
The Year the Wall Came Down(1)
The Year the Wall Came Down(2)
The Collapse of the Wall - How It Was
- From the NY Times [ free registration required ]
- Germans Are Balking at U.S. Embassy Blueprint
- Germans get cranky.
- 2 Lives, Again Entwined, Mirror the Fate of Berlin
- fascinating story of two friends separated by the Berlin Wall for
decades and how it still keeps them apart.
This page was last built on Thu, Mar 8, 2001 at 8:35:24 PM
with Frontier. Please send comments to: greg@TheHouseAtTheBridge.com